Saturday, June 27, 2015

A two year old at the dentist: recipe for disaster

Almost a month ago Max biffed it while just plain running one day and broke off a 1/4 to 1/3 of his front tooth (see in the left picture?) It hurt him quite a bit and looked awful, I was seriously devastated over my baby's adorable little smile! (Also after falling and getting hurt like that, it has definitely changed his immediate reaction to when he falls now, he used to immediately get up and not think a thing of it, now he cries each time he falls). So to the dentist we went. The dentist was great and we got scheduled to get a crown on it one month away which was fine since it wasn't hurting him.
Fast froward about 3 days and he started crying every time something would touch his tooth and especially when he was eating, it was so sad. That dentist we saw couldn't do anything about it for a month the way his schedule worked out. So we went to a new dentist the following day. That one said she'd put a crown on it right then in there in the office without being fully sedated. Either way the dentist did it, it was really awful. Max had laughing gas and was in one of those restraining things screaming and crying the whole time but since he was in so much pain it kinda just had to get done ASAP. I left the room and when I came back his head was wet from fighting them and the restraining thing so much and crying and his face was red like an apple. Once he saw me he just started crying to go home over and over. It was traumatic for both of us and I hope I never have a 2 year old have to have an experience like this again. It was so so sad.


He fell asleep immediately on the way home and took a 3 1/2 hour nap. Once he woke up we went to McDonalds and got him ice cream like I had promised. He woke up happier than ever from his nap and  the fulfilled promise of ice cream just added to it.
Casey's dental school people say he's too young to remember this traumatic experience and I sure hope he does, because I won't, but I sure hope he does.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

We got dental insurance on Ellie this year because I fear of her falling and cracking a tooth. But now I'm even more scared. Sounds like a traumatic experience for sure. Glad he was able to get it fixed quickly.

Quinn Kimbrough said...

I have to sympathize with you and the pain that your little boy is feeling. I know that you probably wish you could take away all his pain and deal with it on your own, especially at two years old. Good thing he pinpointed the pain and the dentist was able to identify the issue. Bet he loved that ice cream!